Rambling In The Puna2

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Decline of Western Civilization, As We Know It

I consider that the state of Art in a society is a clue to its level of accomplishment. I have seen the David and mighty works of the greats of the Italian and Dutch Renaissance. I love great poetry and other literature and thrill at the compositions of the masters. I consider, much modern music to be great but at a certain point thought we had reached our low point in the tide of musical times during the eighties with the depressing advent of, “Disco.” The advent hailed such great nasally sounds as, “Stayin’ Alive,” whined so eloquently by the likes of Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. We got jangled by others like Donna Summer. The period saw the tragic break up of the Jackson family giving rise to such great one-time-hit performers as Jermaine and Tito. Likewise, and though I digress, Michael’s slide into plastic surgery oblivion and whatever else he was up to in Wonderland. The Disco rage also produced the overproduction of mirror balls and a world awash in slitted slinky synthetic styles and shirts with oversized collars and annoying geometric patterns not to mention the plethora of leisure suits. Now, I really thought that this was the low ebb, the bottom until yesterday, I heard a song actually called, “My Life Would Suck Without You…”

3 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Megan Bower said...

Haha, I would have to agree with you! That is the most ridiculous song I've ever heard.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Susan Anderson said...

Ah Mr. Rich, i miss you so....Looks like you're not going to make it to my wedding in Lewiston, ID on May 30th. Tell me one more time--what are you doing wandering all over the countryside, eating crazy soup, and transporting drunken gentlefolk?
How could i prepare to come see your country?
susan anderson soon-to-be jones

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Rich and Julie said...

My wanderings are actually work related and have to do with convincing indigenous community members at our project in the altiplano that it is in their interest to allow us to explore on their lands. Only some are drunk, others are high on coca but most are just folks, thought I don't know how gentle...I got threatened with stoning the other day. How to prepare depends upon what experience one desires. My experience is probably on the extreme, no fear, adventure side of the equation. Not many really want to eat sheep guts and get their lower back arthritis ravaged on bouncy, trouncy roads I fear. But visits are welcome... Peru has so much to offer. It is really quite wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home