Rambling In The Puna2

Monday, May 11, 2009

Hey There’s A Head In My Soup!

I remember when I first saw the soup they call, “Sheep's head soup,” in the Altiplano of Peru, I thought that it was too gross for words. Frankly, it disturbed me. Though never actually a candidate for a vegan lifestyle, the fact that I could see all manner of floaters: eyes, hooves, snouts, brains, freeze dried potatoes and other disgusting gobs bobbing in the grey greasy slurry that looked for all the world like dishwater with body parts, freaked me out. Indeed, a certain quality of pride infused me when I thought, “Well, at least I don’t eat guts…” Time has flown by and my standards have definitely changed (some say, “Lowered,” you can guess who with unquestionable precision).


The Preparation



The Soup

While I still complain that the soup could use an onion or some garlic nowadays, I still eat it with gusto. I have consumed cows’ udder and thought it pretty fine. Liver, kidneys and sweetbreads are delicacies to me. Beef and bison intestines, and saucy stomach slices grilled to crunchy perfection over an open flame are delightful on my tongue; mouth watering tidbits. Speaking of which, I am pretty fond of tongue too; puns plural, completely intended. I am sure that none of these things will keep me breathing for long. It seems that all of the stuff on the inside of the ribcage is bad for you on some level and so I try to bridle my passion for the fatty inner organs of beasts and fowl but, all the while it is coating my arteries, I consider it pretty tasty stuff!

Savoring...

2 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Señora H-B said...

and that, papi, is why we think you're a weirdo. :)

it's amazing what you'll eat and find tasty after enough exposure, though, isn't it?

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Rich and Julie said...

Well, yes and I suppose that there is no question about the weirdo part of this but I can say that short of bugs, I have eaten just about everything, but then again, no... I have eaten bugs too. Never mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home