Rambling In The Puna2

Monday, October 13, 2008

Cancacho...No Meal Larger Than My Head II

Years ago, I a doctor diagnosed me with ulcers and I discovered that my largest problem derived from overeating hence, I have long striven to avoid eating any meal larger than my head. This has not always proven feasible, especially in Peru. An elderly woman named Susana invited me as part of a large group to eat cancacho yesterday in celebration of her granddaughter’s baptism.


The Tub

Essentially cancacho consists in an whole, oven-roasted lamb, open-fire-roasted cuy (guinea pigs), boiled or baked potatoes, and give or take, rice, noodles and cooked vegetables. In this case Susana filled washtubs with food for the god father and mother, on either side of me.

I broke my rule. I ate half a cuy and a quarter of a lamb...





Bracketed by The Godfathers





Roasted Cuy...









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home